Dental Sealants Agoura Hills, CA
At SoCal Dental of Agoura, we use dental sealants as a way to protect teeth and prevent cavities. If you live in Agoura Hills, CA or the surrounding area, we encourage you to call (818) 473-1137 and schedule an appointment with our dental office. We can examine you and your family before letting you know if dental sealants are the right preventative care solution for your teeth.
What are dental sealants?
Dental sealants are an incredibly thin plastic coating that we brush onto the chewing surfaces of your molars or back teeth. We do so to prevent tooth decay.
Why are they used?
Food can easily become trapped inside the deep ridges on the chewing surfaces of the teeth. These areas can be incredibly difficult to clean so at SoCal Dental of Agoura, we prevent food and plaque buildup by sealing these ridges. By eliminating the areas for food to become trapped, the risk for cavities is decreased.
Who should get dental sealants?
Both children and adults can get dental sealants. However, this procedure is most commonly performed on children that have not yet suffered from tooth decay (at least on the tooth or teeth in question). If you or someone in your family has deep ridges in your teeth, this can be a beneficial solution for maintaining optimal oral health.
What is the procedure like?
Incredibly easy. When you visit our Agoura Hills, CA dental office, we can clean your teeth. Afterwards, we will apply a gel to the surface of your teeth and let it dry. Then, we will rinse and dry your tooth again before finally placing the dental sealants. The sealant is literally painted onto the tooth and sometimes dried with a special dental light. The process only takes a couple of minutes per tooth and it is so easy that our patients are usually surprised by how quickly it is done.
Do kids mind getting dental sealants?
Typically, no. The process is easy, fast, and comfortable. There is no drilling or invasive preparation and the sealant itself does not cause any irritation or smell funny. It is truly an easy way to prevent cavities.
Check out what others are saying about our dental sealants on Yelp: Dental Sealants Agoura Hills
What does it feel like after they are placed?
We have found that our patients cannot even notice them. They do not look like anything because they are completely clear. If you run your tongue along your teeth, you may be able to feel a slight difference but they are smooth and will not feel uncomfortable in any way.
Do dental sealants really make a difference?
Yes, they do. By preventing food and plaque from becoming stuck in your teeth, the risk for developing cavities is significantly reduced. As a result, you and your family may experience less tooth decay, fewer cavities and the need for dental restorations. This means fewer dental appointments and more money in the bank.
How often do they need to be replaced?
At SoCal Dental of Agoura, we have found that sealants typically last for five to ten years. They are incredibly effective but we will want to monitor them during regular dental examinations. Naturally, there are certain things like chewing on pencils or biting down on ice that can wear down the dental sealant so it is important to make safe and healthy choices regarding what is put in the mouth. If we see that they are wearing down, we may recommend that they are replaced so that you or your children can continue to benefit from this layer of protection.
Where can I get dental sealants?
If you live in Agoura Hills, CA or the surrounding area, call 818-473-1137 to schedule an appointment with our dental office. At SoCal Dental of Agoura, we can examine you and your children's teeth before letting you know if sealants are a good solution for you. We can provide you with all of the information you need to make an educated decision and to get started.
Questions Answered on This Page
People Also Ask
Definition of Dental Terminology
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Cosmetic dentistry is generally used to refer to any dental work that improves the appearance (though not necessarily the function) of a person’s teeth, gums and/or bite.
- Tooth decay is when the enamel of the tooth begins to decay and cause erosion from plaque and tartar on the teeth.
- Dental Caries
- Dental caries are also known as cavities and result from a lack of proper oral hygiene leaving plaque that forms tiny holes in the teeth.
- Dental Checkup
- A dental checkup is an appointment that involves cleaning the teeth, identifying any signs of infection and removing said signs of infection at least once every six months in the office.
- Dental Filling
- A dental filling involves restoring the structure of the tooth by using metal, alloy, porcelain or plastic to fill the tooth.
- Dental Prophylaxis
- A dental prophylaxis is a professional and detailed cleaning that involves the removal of plaque, calculus and stains from the teeth.
- Dental Sealants
- Dental sealants contain a resinous material that we apply to the chewing surfaces of the posterior teeth to prevent dental caries.
- A dentist, also known as a dental surgeon, is a doctor who specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases and conditions of the oral cavity.
- Gingivitis is the inflammation of gum tissue that results from plaque, other infections in the mouth and poor oral hygiene.
- Preventive Dentistry
- Preventive dentistry is the dentistry that focuses on maintaining oral health in order to prevent the spread of plaque, the formation of tartar and infections in the mouth.
- Tartar forms when plaque builds up on the surface of the teeth and calcifies into a hard surface that is much more difficult to remove and will require professional treatment.
- Tooth Enamel
- Tooth enamel is the protective visible outer surface of a tooth that contains the dentin and dental pulp.
Back to top of Dental Sealants
Asking a family dentist questions allows patients to be sure the answers they receive are correct. Dentists train for years and can provide patients with the information they need to support their good oral health. One of the more common topics patients want to know more about is cavities.Many individuals are choosing to trust family…
Invisalign® provides you with a discreet way to improve the alignment of your teeth. It can be just as effective as straightening teeth with metal braces, and it offers a more comfortable approach to improving the alignment of teeth.Traditional metal braces have been used to straighten teeth for over a decade, but they are highly…
When it comes to replacing one or more missing teeth, the choice often comes down to a dental bridge or dental implants. Getting a proper replacement is important in order to restore the appearance of your smile. If you are considering the tooth replacement process, then you may want to know about the difference between…
Wondering whether you should choose clear braces to straighten your teeth? General dentists say this is a great choice when you want to be a little more discreet about wearing braces. It really is important for you to choose an option that fits in with your lifestyle, as wearing braces requires you to make a…