Are you experiencing a toothache that just won’t quit? Do you have a pounding headache that centers around your mouth? Does it hurt when you eat or drink something hot or cold?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may need a root canal treatment.
Millions of teeth are treated and saved each year with the root canal, or endodontic, treatment. Here at SoCal Dental of Agoura, we regularly perform root canal endodontic treatments in order to remove infections and save our patients’ teeth. If you live in the Los Angeles area and are currently experiencing tooth pain, we invite you to call 818.597.0100 to schedule an appointment and see if you need a root canal treatment.
What is a Root Canal?
A root canal is a treatment used to restore and save a tooth that is severely decayed or becomes infected. During a root canal procedure, the pulp and nerve of a tooth are removed and the center of the tooth is cleaned and sealed. Without treatment, the tissue surrounding the tooth will become infected and abscesses may form.
What are the Signs of Needing a Root Canal?
There are a few symptoms that indicate that you may need a root canal. Such include:
- Severe pain while chewing or biting.
- Pimples on the gums.
- A chipped or cracked tooth.
- Lingering sensitivity to hot or cold, even after the sensation has been removed
- Swollen or tender gums.
- Deep decay or darkening of the gums.
Why Choose a Root Canal?
Long-standing, poorly managed pulp inflammation or infection can lead to severe and disabling toothaches; other complications are:
- Swelling of head and neck region.
- Abscess formation.
- Fistula or sinus formation (for the drainage of pus to the exterior or within gums).
- Loss of bone.
- Other oral and systemic health issues.
Luckily, a root canal performed by an experienced endodontist can restore your tooth to its original function.
What is the Procedure of a Root Canal?
A root canal procedure involves:
- The removal of the inflamed/ damaged dental pulp or infected nerve.
- Thorough cleaning and disinfection of the interior of the tooth.
- Filling and sealing of the affected tooth cavity with gutta-percha (a rubber-like substance).
- Covering of the tooth surface with the help of a crown for further protection and near-normal function.
Make an Appointment Today!
Is a Root Canal Painful?
If you are suffering from a toothache, call our office at 818.597.0100 today! We are here to help you.
What are the Benefits of Getting a Root
Canal Over Tooth Extraction?
Root Canal treatment allows you to preserve your natural smile, continue eating the foods you love, and in most cases limits the need for ongoing dental work. With appropriate care, most teeth that have had root canal treatment can last a lifetime. Other benefits to opting for a root canal over tooth extraction include:
- A Virtually Pain-Free Procedure: Root canal treatment is essentially painless and often leaves you with minimal discomfort during recovery compared to tooth extraction.
- A Visually Appealing Result: Crowns administered during root canal treatments not only function like natural teeth, but they also look great!
- Efficiency & Cost-Effectiveness: In many cases, tooth extraction can take longer than root canal treatment. This is due to follow-up appointments required for a denture, bridge or implant. The cost of tooth extractions may also be higher while root canal treatments are covered by most dental insurance plans.